Welcome to my blog!!

Welp, here goes.....not sure how I'll do at this but I'll give it a whirl! Hope you enjoy. "Yearning to be Average" has to do with my desire & goal to just be an average size person.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Training (cue "Rocky" theme music)

So as I said the other day, one of my goals is to run a 5k in September.  I am planning to run one or two before then....you don't want a 5k in NYC to be your first!  Talk about pressure! I have to make sure I can do it well and not embarrass the family name.  Haha!

Where do you even begin training for a 5k?  For myself, what has worked:  I started off on the treadmill at the gym.  I always walk for approx 4 minutes to warm up....the first time I was on the treadmill in November, I decided to see how long I could run.  I ran for 3.5 minutes.  Yep. 3.5 minutes.  I thought I was going to pass out....that's how out of shape I was.  I walked more, then ran I think maybe 2 minutes more?  Even though I knew in my head it wasn't much, I was proud for even doing it.

Gradually and with every week or even every time I was on the treadmill I'd try to increase my running time, even by just 15-30 seconds.  I am now at the point where I can run for 30-31 minutes straight.  The pace I run at (5.4 or 5.5 mph), has me running a mile in 11:06.  So I'm almost up to running 3 miles already!  In just under 3 months of training.....not too shabby.

In November when the weather was still tolerable outside, I would take walks in the afternoon in our neighborhood.  Our neighborhood is great -- it's dog-friendly, there's lots of small hills, great to train in.  I would take Tyson, our pitbull, on a walk for about 20 mins and it was great for that added cardio.

In the late winter/spring I'm going to start doing the same again, but hopefully with some running in the neighborhood.  I really do like going on the treadmill, I have all the numbers in front of me...speed, incline, minutes, calories burned, etc.  but running on the treadmill is just not the same as running on the street.  I learned that lesson....during a nice warm day in late November or early December I decided to go run at the track at the high school instead of going on the treadmill.  Wow - what a difference.  My legs felt like jelly before I finished even a lap (1/4 mile).  I think it's because you don't have that momentum that the moving belt on the treadmill gives you....it's almost like a boost.  And of course, when I run a 5k, it's not going to be on a treadmill, it'll be on non-moving ground (non-moving aside from me moving my legs on it!)  I want to be prepared.  I want to go into the 5k confident that I can finish with no problem.

Here's the current walk/run I'm doing at the treadmill this week....I'll probably try to increase it within the next week (if it ever stops snowing!)

4 minutes walking at 2.0 incline, 4.0 speed
16 minutes running at 2.0 incline, 5.4 speed
4 minutes running at 3.0 incline, 5.4 speed
4 minutes runnning at 4.0 incline, 5.4 speed
6 minutes running at 5.0 incline, 5.4 speed
2-3 minutes cooldown period

My husband, Jerry, is THE best motivator/trainer!  He is pushing me constantly, always encouraging, always telling me to do more and push myself.  That makes SUCH a difference.  I can get stuck in a rut, especially on the treadmill; he's always telling me to increase my incline or time, even by 15 seconds.  I'm so thankful to have him in my corner. 

3 comments:

  1. This is so funny. I actually think running on a treadmill is HARDER! I call it the dreadmill. :) I think I prefer outside because I like to feel the wind in my hair, and feel the sense of accomplishment like I've actually gone somewhere.

    I think I'm also afraid of falling off the treadmill like they do on the biggest loser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Allison! It's so nice to have something to look at besides the old people in the gym. lol There's one guy that cracks me up, he uses paper towels to hold whatever weight machine he's using. I think he's a germaphobe. lol Anyhoo....I think if I had started this training in the spring or summer, or even early fall, I would've done most of it outside as well. Because of when I started hardcore (November), that dictated me being on the treadmill mostly for now.

    LOL @ the biggest loser...the one that fell off this season (the REALLY big guy, I forget his name)was the best fall yet...he kinda bounced. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your are doing amazing! I would like to suggest to you the "Couch to 5k" program. John and I did it when we trianed to run the Flying Pig Relay Race. My stretch was a little under 7 miles and that program helped so much! Do remember that you are going to have a TON of adrenaline when you run a race in public. Just the feeling in the air is amazing! I have to admit that I actually get a little teary-eyed every time I line up to run/walk in any event!

    ReplyDelete