Welcome to my blog!!

Welp, here goes.....not sure how I'll do at this but I'll give it a whirl! Hope you enjoy. "Yearning to be Average" has to do with my desire & goal to just be an average size person.

Friday, January 28, 2011

All I wanna do is zumba, zumba, zumba, zoom.....

Okay not really.....I did go to a zumba class this past Tuesday evening with 3 friends & fellow baseball moms.  What a relief that was -- to have friends with you who were willing to make fools of themselves right alongside you  -- that made such a difference!

Alas....not enough of a difference to make me go back.  You have to understand my personality first to know why this didn't work.  First off, zumba involves a lot of hip movement and booty shaking.  If you know me, you know I'm just not the booty-shaking type.  Not to mention the hip swinging, which I didn't even begin to know how to do.  It was a huge step for me to even be willing to go to this class.  Having my friends with me gave me just enough courage to do it.

The funny thing was, during the class, I didn't have too hard of a time keeping up cardio-wise....I did sweat but I ALWAYS sweat when I work out so that was nothing new.  It felt about as intense as when I do a 2-mile run so no sweat there.  Haha.  Actually there was a lot of sweat but again, that's normal. Of course, part of the reason I may have been able to keep up without passing out was because probably 20-30% of the time I was lost in the moves they were doing and had to watch a few repetitions before doing it myself.  The class was very fast-paced and while the instructor did do a few modifications for us newbies, I still felt lost and kinda like an idiot much of the time.  That in and of itself I don't think would keep me from going...I know logically that if I go more often I'd catch on fairly quickly.  I do think it would be a good supplement to my regular cardio workouts in the morning.

That said, the #1 reason I would probably not go back to THIS zumba class.....one of the ladies that was in the class that we all know.  It's sad to say but this woman was the main reason the 4 of us had been so hesitant to go in the first place.  She's an instructor at this zumba place and we were excited to find out that the class we had planned to go to was not one that she taught.  Little did we know, however, that she would still be there just to participate in the class!!   I know that sounds awful but she alone is the main reason I would choose not to go back....and it's difficult to explain why.  All of us at one time or another have felt threatened by her with our husbands (she is WAY too flirtatious among other things), have felt demeaned by her, have felt like a bug she was looking at under a microscope, criticizing.  She's just NOT a nice person and not someone I choose to spend time with during a vulnerable time.  Zumba was already difficult for me to put myself out there to do because of my personality -- somewhat introverted (according to my husband), and shy. Throw in someone that makes your stomach turn and that pretty much decided it for me.  I think I would be willing to go to another class once in a while as a supplement, but it will be at a different facility.  That's unfortunate because this place is only 5 minutes away. ** Just want to add that this particular woman is not on my friends list or any of my friends' lists' so she won't see this, can't have you thinking that I'm that mean! :-p

To add insult to injury, I discovered when I got home that I left my sneakers there!  The instructor wanted you to wear a different pair of shoes during the class than you wore when you got there.  I assume that this was because of all the ice and snow we've had. So when we finished class we were all too busy trying to hurry out of there and laughing that I walked out without my shoes!  Thank goodness they were a really old pair and not my new ones that Jerry got me for my birthday.  Do you think I've been brave enough to go back and get them yet?  Nope!  But I intend to.  I think. 

Oh well -- my friends and I all laughed SO much at ourselves that night, thankful that it wasn't on tape for the general public to see.  I guess in that sense, it was worth it.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't video the event? Too bad!

    I love our Zumba instructor at the Y. Yes, it is a lot of hip-hop and stuff but I leave the booty shaking out and do the best I can. I used to feel stupid until I realized that but for a handful of really skinny really young really in shape girls that know the routines, everyone was equally as bad.

    ReplyDelete