Welcome to my blog!!

Welp, here goes.....not sure how I'll do at this but I'll give it a whirl! Hope you enjoy. "Yearning to be Average" has to do with my desire & goal to just be an average size person.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Goooooooaallllllls! (imagine that said by the soccer announcer)

So I thought it was a good idea to lay out what my goals are, both tangible & intangible (is that even a word?) for this 'health & fitness' journey.  I think just putting it in writing makes it in a way, more valuable.

Goal # 1: The clothes.  To be average. This is the whole point of me starting this journey anyway....to be 'average.'  For as long as I can remember as an adult I've shopped either in the plus-size section of a store or in a plus-size store itself. One of my major complaints as a plus-size shopper is the store either has a pitiful plus-size section (Target.....oh how I love thee....but not your plus-size section, which you try to hide in the furthest corner next to maternity, so much so that I can't tell half the time which stuff is maternity & which is plus); or it's a hit-or-miss whether you find something (Fashion Bug.....you either have cute stuff or old-lady nylon stuff....there's no middle with you!)  So I want to be able to shop in a regular store, in a regular-size section.  I want to be able to take my purchases to the checkout without being concerned about the clerk seeing what size I wear.

Goal # 2:  The race. To run a 5k - namely, the Tunnel to Towers Run in NYC.  Almost every year for the past 4-5 years, my husband Gerard, a firefighter and native New Yorker, has run a 5k in NYC on the last Sunday in September.  It's in honor of Stephen Siller, a firefighter who was heading home on the morning of September 11th.  He heard the calls on his fire radio and knew he had to head to the Towers.  Problem was, they had closed off the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to traffic so Stephen, with his FULL gear on, ran from the Brooklyn side of the tunnel, through the tunnel and up to the Twin Towers, where he died along with 342 other firefighters (and too many others), leaving his wife Sally & 5 children.  It's always very moving emotionally to watch this race and be there at the finish line to cheer on all the runners.  This year it's my turn!  For the first time I'm planning to run it with Jerry. Tunnel to Towers Run

Goal # 3:  The numbers. To lose 80-90 pounds.  This would put me in a much better weight range and give me much better cardio health. To date I have lost 29 pounds (since November 4th, when I did my first official-like weigh-in). 

This is really putting myself out there but I wanted to include the dreaded picture I referred to in yesterday's post, the one that mortified me.  I thought about not putting it on here but my intent is to share the good, the bad, & the ugly....I guess this is the 'lowlights' I was referring to as well. In any case it will be good to have to refer back to as the 'before' picture!


Another day I'd like to share what I've been doing at the gym, with food, how my husband is the best trainer ever, etc. but I learned from one of my favorite fellow-bloggers *cough* MELISSA *cough*, that a good cliffhanger is always helpful! So I'll just leave it at that.  Which, ironically, is not really a cliffhanger but you get the idea.  I want you to come back.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. That is an amazing goal about the run...I know you'll get there, you're doing great! I too have a wake-up moment photo that was taken a few years ago...hardly recognized myself. Said to self, "that is NOT ok, that is not the person I wanna be!" Looking forward to following your journey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sj! I'm definitely on the right path, up to running over 2.5 miles now. I can't wait for it to get warmer out so we can run outside some. There is such a difference between running on the treadmill & outside. I want to get accustomed to running outside so I can definitely be prepared. I know Jerry wants me to run one or two 5k's before the one in September too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 29? Wow! Congrats so far. You inspire me.

    I LOVE Cliff Hangers . . .well, I love leaving others hanging, don't like left being hung! :)

    ReplyDelete