Welcome to my blog!!

Welp, here goes.....not sure how I'll do at this but I'll give it a whirl! Hope you enjoy. "Yearning to be Average" has to do with my desire & goal to just be an average size person.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Hiccups

Hiccups are annoying.  I had a few hiccups over the last couple weeks or so.  To start, this winter, especially January, has been TOUGH here in CT.  The Hartford area got 60+" of snow in January alone.  So needless to say......I'm ready for spring.

One of the things I love about our gym is there's not very many people there in the morning. It's usually just me and the 'I hold onto the equipment with paper towels' guy.  I like that.....I like a little solitude, plus I don't like to feel crowded.....I want to feel at-ease while I sweat!

I go to the gym at 5am every day for the most part.  Well, I get up at 4:30, hoping to be there by 5 every morning.  Problem is, (hiccup # 1) maybe 50% of the time, our gym isn't open on time.  It's supposed to be open at 5, but a lot of times it's not.  That's a big problem for me as my time is very limited.  I usually don't have time to work out in the afternoon or evening because of Isaiah's sports, homework, etc.  so I go in the morning before work.  If you know me at all, you know that I am NOT a morning person but it works out better for me to get it done first thing.  Plus my energy level is pretty low by the evening.

So back to the gym.....there is a relatively new owner at our gym, she bought it within the last 12 months or so I'd say.  She's a young(er) female and I love that she's a business owner, I almost feel proud that she was able to do this, to buy a gym!  But the problem is....she's rarely on time to open!  There is a young guy who works there as well, he is SUPER reliable and is NEVER late.  The owner, however, is almost always 5, 10, or 15 mins late.  That's a problem for me because as I said, my time is super limited.  I need to be in & out of the gym by 5:45 to get home, shower, & wake up Isaiah for school.  So every time she's late, I have to lessen my time on the treadmill by that much. That's frustrating.  Part of what is helping me to be successful with weight loss so far (35 pounds as of 2/6!) is having fairly consistent workouts.

As I said in the beginning, the snow has been insane here this winter.  That leads to hiccup # 2......if there's snow or school delays, for the most part, our gym will open late as well, or perhaps even close.  That's not a problem if I don't go to work...but it's a problem when they have a delay the day or two after a storm....I think at that point it's just someone not wanting to get out of their cozy bed to open the gym. 

So what to do with this situation?  We've (nicely) complained to the owner, she offered and gave me her cell phone number to call her if nobody was there by 5:05am.  While it was a nice gesture, it doesn't help me much because even if I call her to tell her nobody's there, it's going to take her 15 mins to get there.  By that time it's too late for me.

Our next solution.....there's a Planet Fitness across the street.  Yay.  (Yes I said that sarcastically).  Not sure if they have Planet Fitness in OH or not, but it's basically a big chain gym,  and it's THE gym to work out at around here.  Everybody we know has a membership there and I've fought & fought to not join that gym.  I like our fairly-empty-at-5am-if-they're-open-on-time-gym.  I didn't want to go to the gym where everybody else goes...I didn't want to be crowded....I didn't want to run into people I know who haven't seen just how much I am capable of sweating (a LOT).  But what's a girl to do?  To make a long story short (too late! Ha!), Jerry went and signed me up for a membership last week.  Planet Fitness is ALWAYS open on time, they NEVER close, during the week they are open 24-hours a day. The membership is minimal ($10 a month) and it probably seems crazy but I do want to keep my regular gym membership (also $10 a month) because I am so much more comfortable there and would prefer to go there if I can.

Tomorrow.....I'll tell you about my first trip to Planet Fitness! *hiccup*

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I hear you on the time issues. I know that the key to my success is going to be that consistent work-out time. I have only been working out on an average of 4 times a week and really only between 30-45 minutes. But, I suppose this is one of the sacrifices I am going to have to make if I want to lose the weight. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 35! Wow, so proud of you! I do think CONSISTENCY is key, so do keep at it even if you have to sweat in front of people. : )
    Maybe there won't be many people there at 5 a.m.?

    ReplyDelete