Welcome to my blog!!

Welp, here goes.....not sure how I'll do at this but I'll give it a whirl! Hope you enjoy. "Yearning to be Average" has to do with my desire & goal to just be an average size person.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Shut up & squat .....how rude!?! lol

So not to overshare but my rear end is my new pet project in my fitness routine.  Along with trying to lose the weight I gained back and stay on track with food, I really want to get my butt into better shape (literally and figuratively!) 

I've always had kind of a flat butt - my legs/thighs tend to be pretty muscular when I'm working out.  I even had a woman at the gym compliment me on my legs last week!  Talk about making my day....I was doing weighted step-ups on one of the benches (these always make me sweat!) and she was asking me about the benefits of doing those, she said my legs are very muscular. Woo-hoo!! 

Anyway....I want to get my butt more toned, rounded, etc. and have been concentrating more on that, adding in new exercises, concentrating on going even lower in my squats, and adding more reps on the exercises that target that area. 

I follow quite a few fitness buffs on Instagram and they are great resources for recipes, exercises and general fitness info. 

I need to do some progress pics but don't feel comfortable posting them on Instagram (Isaiah would be mortified - haha!) but will probably do so on here.  That is one of the best ways to track progress, especially since I can't see my butt.  Haha!

I always do squats when at the gym, I actually squat more weight than Jerry does (heehee!).  I added in weighted plie squats this morning, I really liked those.  Basically you stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in front of you with arms fully extended down.  I did 3 sets of 10, moving up in dumbbell size each time.  Since it was my first time I didn't push it too much, but used a 20-lb, 22.5-lb and finished with a 25-lb weight. 

I've also been doing the glute machines at the gym, although I would love to do them every day to hurry up progress, that could actually be counterproductive so I'm doing them every other day or so.  Basically it is a machine where you lean over with your belly on a pad and push back on a weight alternatively with each foot - I'm up to 100 lbs, 120 and 140.  Could probably do more, haven't tried more weight yet though. That's one of my faults, I don't push as hard as I should, you don't realize how much your body can take! 

I was inspired today and since it was legs day, I figured it won't hurt to do squats whenever I go to the bathroom today.  Haha!  My office is pretty quiet, I'm the only one in the bathroom at any one time so I did 20 squats (no weights of course) when I was in there this morning.  I'm drinking more water so who knows how many squats I'll get done today!  Haha!  I won't do this every day, again so as not to be counterproductive -- I need to rest those muscles as well so they can heal & rebuild.

(I do lots more leg stuff as well, didn't want you to think I only do 3 exercises - too much to post here!)  Sometime maybe I will post my daily workouts - Jerry says he thinks I do one of the best workouts at our gym. Then again he's my trainer so that's probably him taking the credit for that.  Haha! Will keep you posted - and expect some pics maybe today or tomorrow! 

2 comments:

  1. Squatting in the bathroom...you GO GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Dawn -- I ended up doing 80 squats I think! (20 each time I went to the bathroom at work).

    ReplyDelete